Thursday, March 27, 2008

Apparently I am NOT smarter than a 5th grader!

What a night! I decided to walk to the school to watch the students challenge the teachers at 'Are you smarter than a 5th grader?' I figured I would walk because that would kinda be like training for the 5K this weekend, uh-huh. Well I walked to the wrong school! Not that there are so many schools in this town, two I think, I just walked to the wrong one! So there was no way I could get to the other school in time, so Mike was there to play basketball, so we watched that for about 2 seconds, then we left. Got home at 7:30, the door was locked. Holy Crap! Now does Mike have his cell phone in his basketball uniform? Does he have his cell phone with him? Will he be home before dark? Do I have to walk all the way back to school and past this giant dog that I thought for sure was going to jump the fence and devour me and my kids. Crap. So I decided to let Evan play in the yard and get filthy. Then it was 8:00. Now it is getting colder and kinda darker. So I figure I will just bite the bullet and walk back to the school and get the key from Mike and then walk back. My toe was killing me, that is why I did not want to walk the extra 2 miles. I will probably win the 5K this weekend!!!! NOT! So as I am starting back to school on the opposite side of the man eating dog, my dear husband calls and is on the way home! YEAH. And he tells me where we keep the spare key outside, I did not know that we had a spare key outside! We finally get in the house, Evan is a mess. I look at his fingernails, I figure it will be easier to cut off all his fingers than try to clean under his fingernails. He was starving of course, so he had a quick dinner and the boys were off to bed. And mommy was off to the wine cellar.

But I have to admit that when things like that happen, I do love the fact that I live in a small town. When we were standing outside and I was trying to figure out what I was going to do, a police car drove by. And for a split second I thought, 'oh he knows I am locked out and he is going to unlock my door.' Like the police department has this giant key chain with everyone's keys on it! The other night I was in our only grocery store buying what other than milk. There was a family of four peering into the diary case. It was a mom and dad and 2 young girls, probably 15 and 16. They were all just standing there and finally the younger girls says in this really 15 year old whiny voice, 'mom, can't we just go to a real store?' So me being the shy person that I am, I have to chime in. I said, 'what do you mean? This is a real store, I can see you really standing in it.' Her parents laugh, but she gives me that 15 year old 'oh my god look' and she fakes a smile. So I say, 'do you mean a Jewel store? Is that where you would rather be?' She says, "like for sure, now you got it all hippty hoppity going on.' No she did not really say that, she just looked at me and smiled. But I thought it was so funny. Sure our grocery store closes at 8 pm, and we do not have 2 entire isles dedicated to pet supply items and you can only get 125 kinds of cereal instead of 400. But it is sure cozy.

2 comments:

mamaofsix said...

You absolutley CRACK ME UP!!!! We need to get together and catch up! I LOVE your stories:-)

Taylor family: Tim, Becky, Tabitha said...

Donna, you always have me in stitches! We had a store like that when we lived in Illinois, I loved it...
PS you've been tagged, check out our blog for the scooop!